How To Identify Coral Stone
Coral or moonga ratan in Hindi is associated with the massive planet mars. The color of moonga or coral is vermilion or light red. The coral gemstone is not a mineral, but it is being produced by animals of sea. Therefore, it is called the gift of sea to human kind.
The coral gemstone is included in the team of the navratnas due to its fascinating color and extreme luster. The genesis of this stone is acknowledged to be floral. But, this stone is also found under the deep sea similar to pearl stone which is also an organic gemstone. The coral stone is developed over branches of coral which look identical to the branches of wood plant.
The coral originates because of the presence of a sea animal, coral or moonga which appear tenacious in appearance. This animal is found close to submerged sea rocks. Gradually, this animal gathers hard material calcium carbonate and stores it in beehive shape place.
Thereafter, the animal stores calcium carbonate in this beehive shape place for over the years and finally coral are being produced. This overall process takes several years to form a coral stone. The coral stone is basically non transparent and the shape, color of the stone varies as per sea.
- Coral is termed to high quality if it appears identical to ripe wood plant or bael tree.
- The round, soft, long and non transparent coral or moonga is also stated being the high quality red coral stone.
- A red coral stone which is free of dark spot, inclusions and smudge is called to be original and best quality stone.
- The color of original or real coral is vermilion or light red in color.
- A real coral stone will appear smooth or plane when it is being seen with magnifier glass, whereas an inferior or low quality coral will have inclusions or dark spot when it is seen with magnifier glasses.
- A real coral or moonga stone does not produce any sound when it is rubbed against mirror, whereas, when a synthetic coral is grind against mirror it will produce a heavy sound.